feet

feet

Saturday, July 25, 2009

We did it!

We are back! We got back yesterday just before Zeke's second nap. Yes, we did get up, check out of the hotel, eat breakfast and hit the road. Yes, I was ready to see my sweet boy. Yes, I have just stared at him all day. I can't begin to even describe how wonderful Abby and Charlie were to stay with Zeke. They definitely took on a huge task in dealing with first time parents leaving their baby. Not only did they step up and do a phenomenal job, but I come home and Abby, the saint, has washed the sheets and remade the bed so that I don't have to do that today. RIDICULOUS! But I am so thankful! I don't even know how to say thank you to them...

Alright, now to the trip... we did not take a single picture, sorry. I will tell you about the fun we had and supply links to the fun places we went. We got into Richmond, VA just before 7 on Wednesday. We checked into our hotel, The Berkeley Hotel, and then had to head to dinner at Morton's Steakhouse. Dinner was wonderful! They had our table decorated with confetti and took our picture. We had a steak and seafood special. Spencer got a ribeye and shrimp. I got salmon and shrimp (no I didn't get steak, ew). The hotel was beautiful and right in the middle of everything. We were able to walk to Morton's and then walk around the next day as well.

We got up Thursday morning and headed out to explore. This ended up including one of my favorite parts of our trip. We went to a farmer's market and got a snack for me around 10 or so. Then we sat and ate almost a whole basket of blackberries (ok, I ate most of them). We had such a great time just talking. We talked about favorite things through out our five years, what we want to happen in the next year, what to name baby dos, things we love about Zeke, things we need to work on with him during the next year, how to hold each other accountable to having our time with God daily, what we want to work on in our marriage, and so much more. For lunch, we had Bottom's Up Pizza. It was delish!!! Afterwards, we headed back to the farmer's market to get dessert. They had something called Soul Ice. It was super YUM! We enjoyed it by walking along the canal and headed back to the hotel. I took a nap and Spence watched lots of Law and Order and got into a discussion with Green Peace people (this was located outside of a Starbucks- yes, he can find one anywhere). For dinner we got to go to Carytown where we went to Carytown Burger and Fries. They have been voted to have the best burger in Richmond. For those back in Whitsett/Gibsonville, it was similar to Jack's, and was super yummy! Afterwards, we walked along Cary St. It reminded us a lot of Franklin St in Chapel Hill. Lots of cool, funky stores and places to eat. One weird thing, there were seriously about a million salons. People around there are serious about their hair, I guess. We grabbed some dessert and then went to The Byrd Theatre. This was my other favorite part of the trip. I am not kidding. If you go to Richmond, you absolutely have to go here. Spence and I decided if we lived closer, this would be a weekly activity.

We got up Friday morning, ate at Perly's (no website, sorry). It was ok, your general old diner type place to eat. And then we headed back to our sweet boy!

Sorry for writing so much and there not being any pictures. You can totally use this as a guide for enjoying Richmond though. We definitely had fun and were able to relax and enjoy our trip. Special thanks to Jena-Marie for all the good tips on Richmond.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Your post is making me miss home! You definitely hit some of the best Richmond hot spots though- glad you had a good time!

Morgan Doherty said...

Good Richmond activities. Ryan and I used to love going to Carytown and watching a movie at the Byrd. My favorite restaraunt in Caryton is Baker's Crust (next time....) Glad you could get away!

Bobby and Brooke said...

I'm proud of you and the trip sounded like heaven!!! I think we should go on a trip together one day! ;)