feet

feet

Thursday, July 9, 2009

5 years

Today marks Spencer and my 5 year anniversary of being married. It also marks 11 years since we started dating. For those of you that do not know our story here is the cliff notes version:
During the summer before my sr. year and Spencer's jr. year in high school we both went on the history trip to Greece. We attended a small high school, but had never met. We could be found together basically from the very beginning. I don't have any pictures from our high school days (hey moms can you send me some of those?), but from the very first group picture we are together. By the end of the trip Spence and I had hit it off and even held hands (scandalous I know). Oh, important side note, I had a boyfriend back home. We got back from our trip, I broke up with my boyfriend with in a week and was out on a date with Spencer shortly after that. Important things you should know: Spence's mom was on the trip as a chaperone so I got to know her as I got to know him. Spencer lied and said he was 16 and had a license, so I had to drive on our first date.
We got through high school, I went to Meredith College and Spencer went to UNC. We definitely did a huge amount of driving between Raleigh and Chapel Hill. During our college years we had our share of fun and not so fun times. We were challenged in our relationship and in our relationship with God. I spent a summer in Gatlinburg TN, Spence spent the next summer in East Asia. I graduated from Meredith, but had to return to student teach that fall. That summer we worked together at a pool.
On June 18. 2003 (5 years from the day we met), Spencer planned a date for us at a park with a picnic supper. While there, we ate, enjoyed sparkling grape juice and chocolate covered strawberries, and danced. As we were dancing Spencer began talking about a book we were reading that was about marriage. I began to think to myself "wow, we are never going to get married, how did he not get this book was about getting married when the title is "10 great dates before you say i do", do I have to break up with him, I really don't want to, I know we are supposed to get married" As all of this is running through my mind, Spencer is getting down on one knee. Yes, I was shocked!
We were married a year later on July 9, 2004 (our 6 year anniversary). We have had some HUGE transitions in our marriage. Moving 3 times, going to seminary, buying a house, getting a dog, expecting our first son, expecting our second son, Spence going full time at Summit, me leaving a full time job for be a full time mom, and so much more.
Spence, I can't imagine my life any other way. I am so glad that God doesn't plan things based on my plans because what He has given us has been so much more than I could have ever dreamed. You are my best friend. I love spending time with you. I look forward to when you come home everyday. I love just hanging out with you. It is crazy to me that we still can find so much to talk about and have fun with. Thank you so much for taking a chance on this country girl. Thank you for introducing me to Christ. Thank you for continuously shepherding me, encouraging me, and challenging me in my walk. Thank you for being an amazing dad. Zeke is so blessed to be your son. I love you with all my heart and can't wait for what God has for us in the future.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At what point in the timeline did you e-mail me asking for those Tommy Nelson VHS tapes? Just askin'.

The Cox Family said...

Happy Anniversary sweet friends! May the Lord bless the next 75 or more. :)

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary to a great couple! Miss you both!!

Sarah