feet

feet

Saturday, April 11, 2009

How to raise a healthy child...

... in spite of your doctor by Robert Mendelsohn. This book came HIGHLY recommended to me by many moms before we had Zeke. I got the book for Christmas and began reading it recently. Being the good mommy that I am ,I flipped immediately to the section on earaches (or the hated villian at our house).
This is what the Rob had to say about earaches: "Use a heating pad; insert two drops of heated (but not hot) olive oil in the child's ear every two hours; give whiskey by mouth, which will help the child sleep, (Give 10 drops of whiskey to a small baby and up to one-half teaspoon to a larger one. The does can be repeated in one hour and once more in another hour, if needed.) *italics and bold added for emphasis
OK, so here are a few things that I must question; 1. obviously I have heard things like this and thought it was old wives' tales, didn't expect a dr to recommend it. 2. of course the whiskey will help the child sleep, ask any college student and they can vouch for that one. 3. what constitutes a small and a larger baby?

Here is another thing that I am having a bit of a problem with at the moment: "If your baby is totally breastfed, it will provide you with contraceptive protection, in most cases, for at least six months, and in some instances for as long as 2 1/2 years."
Hmmmm.... not buying what he is selling on this one either.

I do have to say that I do agree with some things he says. I am not saying this is all totally junk. I agree that you shouldn't race to the dr. over every little thing. I totally agree that antibiotics are not the solution for every problem and that dumping motrin down their throats does not solve everything. But this book did come out in the 80's when kids were still eating paint chips and riding around with out seatbelts, so I'm not sure how much I should value Dr. Rob's opinions...


2 comments:

Move In Ready Home! said...

Ha,ha,ha!! What happens in the morning when your child wakes up cranky because he/she is hung over. Hmmm.....

Unknown said...

Courtney,
I had to laugh at your comment about this book being written in the 80's when kids were eating paint chips and riding around without car seats!!! Ok, I know I am old but, I have a child that was born in 1986 and child seats were a requirement way back then. Mind you it was basically a bucket that they sat in with no padding and you strapped it in the car - but they were in car seats! :)
Beth Young