feet

feet

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sawyer Update

I know another post with out any pictures... sorry. I should have taken some last night when I got to visit. Yes, you read correctly. I got to see that sweet boy's face. I walked into a Summit party. Cher and Stephen know how to draw a crowd whereever they go :) Sawyer was in a great mood. He had surgery about an hour and a half before I got there to close up his leg with staples, so he was high on drugs. I got to hear from Cher and Stephen the down and dirty of this experience, but the most amazing thing is that through all of this they continue to cling to Jesus. They know with out Him, they would not be getting through this. Yes, they are tired and ready to go home, but they are praising God that their son still has his leg. They are praising God that he is eating (he ate about a ton of popcorn while I was there). They are praising God for his sweet smile and silly laugh. They are praising God that he protests and doesn't want to do PT (it is a good sign that he doesn't just take it all). They really don't know a ton more now.
Here is the quick and fast of what all has gone down, told to me by them:
Sawyer had a version of hand, foot, and mouth (as did the other boys). Somehow they are thinking that because Sawyer picked at his sores around his mouth that he got a strep infection in his blood. (all the boys also have the strep infection, but it hasn't gotten into his blood- everyone is now on antibiotics) This infection caused swelling in his leg. They cut one long incision on the outside of his left leg and three smaller ones along the inside of the left leg. When they went in to operate, any number of things could have been found. What they found was good because it wasn't spreading like crazy and it hadn't attacked muscle or bone. They weren't able to close the wounds all the way up because of the swelling being so much. This is why he had to have another surgery yesterday to staple his big incision more closed. They are hoping to have xrays today to look for more infection in his leg. His fevers keep coming, although not at high or as frequently. (this is the meningitis part, but it is viral not bacterial which is also the good case version). He has been on a cocktail of antibiotics so there really shouldn't be any other infection needing to be fought. They have been told by the PT that Sawyer can not go home until he walks, they have been told by infectious disease people that he can't go home until he isn't getting anymore fevers.

Specific prayers:
Sawyer will walk on his own
Sawyer will stay fever free for 24 hours
Continued strength, peace, and wisdom for Cher and Stephen

4 comments:

Windot said...

I am constantly reading your updates. I guess having a toddler of my own, my heart was just burdened for this family. I am praying for Sawyer, Stephen and Cher. Our small group is also praying for them!!! Please let them know that I am inspired by their faith and we can't wait to hear more about the praises and answers to prayer that I know are coming!!!

Pam said...

Been praying and reading your updates!

Mary Lytle said...

I don't know you or the Lairs, but I discovered your blog through Blessed, Believing, and Blogging Browns. Your writing is interesting and uplifting. Since reading about Sawyer and his family, I have been praying that God will grant them strength and comfort as they attend to his needs during recovery. As a grandmother, my heart goes out to God's littlest children when they are suffering. God bless you for being a good friend to others.

Cyndi - YaYa said...

Amen and Amen.. bless them all...