feet

feet

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Welcome to our family

We are so excited to announce the addition of our son Benjamin Graham Shelton. Ben was born at 7:49 am October 7, 2009. He weighed in at 6lbs 2 oz and 18 inches long. Those are the quick and easy stats. Here comes the full on story:

5:00am- I started feeling a little crampy, but did not think it was contractions. I decided to go take a bath to help with the cramping.
6:00am- I realized that the cramping was coming in waves and I started timing. They were at 5 minutes.
6:20 am- Contractions move to every 4 minutes, we kick it into high gear, and get ready to leave
6:30am- Call our neighbor Michelle to walk over until Matt and Tori could get to the house to watch Zeke
6:45 am- We leave the house and I notice the contractions are now every 3 minutes. Spence is telling me to breath and not push. I tell him I know how to breath and I will not be pushing the baby out in the car
7:10 am- We arrive at Western Wake Med Hospital. They bring us a wheelchair because it is clear that I can't walk. They take me back and Spence has to move the car and check me in, as they are wheeling me I am asking for an epidural
7:15 am- My nurse, Jaton, checks me and sees that I am 7 cm and tells me I can't get an epidural
7:20 am- Spence comes in and I tell him that they won't give me an epidural. I tell him that I want them to just cut him out of me. Jaton tells me as she is walking out the door that I don't want that. I tell Spencer that she doesn't know and yes I do want that
7:25 am- Dr. Brannon comes in and says he has a quick surgery to take care of and will be back. He asks to get an iv in me and hopefully I can get an epidural and should have the baby by 8:15.
7:30 am- Dr Brannon checks me before going to surgery, and says "she's at 10, I'm gonna break her water, on the next contraction you are gonna push, Courtney"
7:30-7:49 am- I push through a couple contractions, Dr. Brannon asks for a vacuum because Benjamin is sunny side up. After pushing and using the vacuum on a couple more contractions, he is born! Oh, and the dr says that the labor was stalled because of Ben facing up- seriously that was stalled labor? WOW!

Ben came out flailing and screaming, total opposite of Zeke. He has a headful of light brown hair, blue eyes, pretty lips and a cute button nose. He has long fingers and long skinny feet. We can't see a lot of resemblance to Zeke. I think they have the same lips, but other than that...

We are so excited that he is here even though it was not the way we expected or planned. I am really ready to get home and see Zeke, I miss him. He can't come to the hospital to see us because no one under 18 is allowed in to visit. I know he is being well taken care of and is having a fun time with our family, but I will be glad to get home and begin our new life as a family of 4.

Benjamin Graham Shelton

Snoozing
Look at those fingers! Look at those HUGE feet!

Mommy and Ben

Daddy and Ben

Close up with his eyes open

Family pic (please ignore my Mufasa hair, remember I had him with NO DRUGS, I should look rough!)

17 comments:

Cyndi - YaYa said...

You look beautiful.. Muffasa hair and all!
We are so excited to welcome Benjamin to the clan... can't wait to smoosh him..
Zeke is going to be an awesome big brother!!

Erin said...

Way to go, Courtney! That's a crazy story, but I am so happy for you guys! Ben is beautiful!

Windot said...

congratulations... you are awesome courtney!!!

The Browns said...

Welcome to the world Ben! We love you millions already.

Way to go, Mufasa... I mean Courtney! You are a rock star!

Catherine said...

Congrats again- he's beautiful! I also had Jaton as my nurse and she heard some lovely comments from me as well :)

Tara said...

Wow, Courtney, you are superwoman! What a labor!!!! So glad that he is here safe and sound. He is so beautiful!!! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Sooo happy for your family!! :)

Lindsay said...

i laughed out loud at the last picture and the comment you wrote - hilarious - congrats on your 2nd little boy - i think he looks so much like spence - and on our 2 little ones we didn't seem much resemblance between them but as andrew gets older they definitely look more similar

Pam said...

Congratulations Courtney!! Wow, that was a fast labor. Praise the Lord! He is beautiful and even with as you call it "Mufasa hair" you are stunning yourself! :)

Chris and Melody Harrell said...

i think Ben looks like his daddy! That Mufasa hair is hilarious! I love that you unashamedly posted that picture :) Congrats to you both! Much love!

The Good Family said...

Your labor sounds a lot like my story when Avery was born, except he weighed 8.8... drugs are for wimps-ha! Seriously, though... I was looking fwd to the drugs w/ Lilly but we had the scheduled c section- God knew I couldn't do it w/o drugs twice! I am so proud of you and think Ben looks precious! I guess Spence better be prepared to deliver baby #3!! Ha!! So excited for Zeke to have a sibling- truly the best gift you can give your child, in my opinion!

Zach and Laura Hanlon said...

Superwoman is your name! haha, I am so excited for you and your family!

Praise the Lord for another healthy, beautiful baby boy!

Bobby and Brooke said...

I always knew that you were SuperMom!!! Congrats on another successful delivery and healthy little boy!!! Get some rest, lots of loving from family, and call me if you need anything!

Love ya!

Ashley M said...

Congratulations Courtney and Spence we are so excited for you and glad that it was at least quick! We can't wait to see little Benjamin

Kim Tapp said...

he definitely looks like spence in that 2nd picture. congratulations guys! that's a crazy story :).

Jenn & David said...

yay!!! Congrats Courtney! What a blessing Ben is here!

The Carey's said...

Welcome to baby Ben! What a blessing of such a quick labor and a beautiful baby boy! Congratulations!