feet

feet

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thursday Throwback

Today’s Thursday Throwback is going to be stories from and about my Grandma because her 79th birthday is tomorrow. I have more stories than I can even begin to count about Grandma. She lives up the driveway from my parents and always has. We went to Grandma’s all the time. But this wasn’t your typical go for Sunday lunches at Grandma’s house visit.s My grandma is a bartender and has been for almost 60 years. Girl can make a mad L.I.T. (not that I would know personally). I have tons of stories surrounding growing up having a bartender for a grandma, too many for this one post, but just ask me sometime and I’ll be happy to share more.

I am going to share two stories about Grandma today. First, her Elvis story and then her chickens story.

My grandma served Elvis. And yes, I am talking about THE Elvis Presley. As in the KING. Back before he was a huge megastar, he performed in Burlington. He stopped in Whitsett (my hometown) at Brightwood Inn (my grandma’s bar/restaurant) to eat. Grandma’s story has changed a bit over the years. Originally he had a cheeseburger and beer and she had to tell him to quiet down. The story that she shares now is that he had a cheeseburger and milk. He was also very nice and well behaved. She tells the story about twice a year to a local tv station and also is written up in the newspaper. She’s a celebrity in our town.

Grandma was interviewed by a paper that did a montage thing on their website a few years back. She was asked to share some stories about working at Brightwood for so long. One story she shared was about Henry the rooster that lives at Brightwood. She recalled someone trying to pick up Henry, to which her response was “you just don’t go around pickin' up chickens”. Thank you, Grandma, I definitely wouldn’t have learned that one with out you.




Isn't she cute?!

3 comments:

kdnca said...

Love this!

Unknown said...

very sweet!

i look forward to seeing you!!

Bobby and Brooke said...

She is very cute! I am very jealous! I would have LOVED meeting Elvis!!!