feet

feet

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Learning Activities

Once the new year hit, I decided that it was time for Zeke to have an intentional time of learning each day. It isn't like I am just now doing activities with him, but I am now planning those activities in advance. When he was younger, I would do many intentional activities from my therapy days through out our course of our day in his play. Now I am making a more intentional learning time that is based around a Bible story for a week or two (however many activities I want to do with it) and then also some kind of fun or crafty activity as well.
I started off the year with the story of creation and here are some of our activities: I read him the story from his Big Picture Bible. We have played with water, playdoh, a flashlight, picture cards, and a few other things. We have the story time in the morning where I read him the story and then tell him what we are focusing on that day- for creation I have taken each day and talked about what was created. Then in the afternoon we have a time where we work on a craft or other fun activity. For example the day we talked about God creating light, we played with a flashlight. An afternoon activity could be fingerpainting, baking cookies, or putting cards into a box. I am really enjoying using my resources from my working days and it is helping to be sure to carve out time with Zeke that is very purposeful. Here are a few pictures from some of our activities:

He only had to taste it once to realize it wasn't very good :)

"Where were you the night of the 1st?"

Serious concentration.
This is a homemade toy- I cut a slit in a shoebox, printed some pictures (a tree, a dog, shoes, a ball, etc) and laminated them. He tells me what they are and puts them into the box. This works on his verbal skills and also his fine motor. Soon I will show him two pictures and ask him to choose the one I name. I am also thinking about printing out some pictures of our family members because I think he will enjoy seeing them in there also.



1 comment:

Brooke said...

i think you are now officially a speech pathologist!